23 April 2010

A Much Needed Discussion

.
I ordered a copy of Mgr Brunero Gherardini's book about Vatican II because Fr Hunwicke's recommendation of it was so effusive.

It arrived today: free, but with a suggestion that €18.70 might be an appropriate donation to the Suore Franciscane dell'Immacolata.

I like the business model.

A quick skim suggests that I'll end up very irritated by the translation, and fairly depressed by the arguments.  Depressed, not because Mgr Gherardini isn't right on the money, but rather depressed because he isn't off the money.

There's an obvious answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway: can somebody recommend a (a) truthful (b) Catholic book about the Council and its aftermath which is (c) positive about them?

2 comments:

Adulio said...

If you're looking for a book that will tell fairy tales about the council, then I am sure "The Tablet" can point you in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

I have just found this post.The Xavier Rynne books are good, they really tell you what it MAY have been like; I came away more and more disgusted by the progressives' behaviour. Iota Unum by Romano Amerio, is still, I think, the best of all. Alan Robinson (rpienne@aol.com)