24 May 2008

The Catholic Herald's Report On Exorcism

This week's paper has a phenomenally uncompromising article reporting on the publication by the Catholic Truth Society of a new book about exorcism and possession by the Westminster diocesan exorcist. When was the last time such a concentrated list of Catholic teachings was given or could be inferred?

"Among the causes of homosexuality is a contagious demonic factor. Even heterosexual promiscuity is a perversion; and intercourse, which belongs in the sanctuary of married love, can become a pathway not only for disease but also for evil spirits."

"He said that the 'spirits inspiring atheism' were those who 'hate God'."

"He denounced the founders of Islam, the Mormons and the Moonies as 'false and heretical prophets' who led their followers into a 'demonic bond of conscience'."

"Beware of any claim to mediate beneficial energies (eg reiki), any courses that promise the peace that Christ promises (eg enneagrams), any alternative therapy with its roots in eastern religions (eg acupuncture)."

"What is called the New Age Movement is paganism reduced to absurdity but unfortunately it has not lost its poison in the process."

This is a book which is certainly on the "to buy" list, but it comes with a dilemma. Should I buy this from the CTS direct (so that they make all of the money), or from Amazon, so that even if CVTS don't make as much, the chances are that it starts appearing on "readers who bought this also bought" lists?

Either way, here is a Catholic priest who has managed to get into the (Catholic, at least) mainstream a book which states eternal truths uncompromisingly. He probably deserves a prayer or two, in thanks.

2 comments:

JARay said...

I must buy one from the CTS shop when I come over to England next month. In fact, I might buy two and give one to my wife who's into Reiki and that nonsense.

Kirk said...

I don't think that I beleive that Amazon those who bough this bought that. I buy a fair amount of books as part of my job running a middle school library and often check the lists on Amazon for inspiration as well as reading the reviews which are often illuminating. I have found that the linked books seem to be just a means of turning your attention to other tomes on the same topic. I may be wrong but I think it is just a marketing technique. . .
I am rather intrigued by this book myself.