25 February 2023

Pre-1910 Calendar for Week Beginning 26 February

 The Indulgence begins.

Proclamation of the Lenten Fast. In Liverpool and Northampton announcement of next Sunday's collection.

+ 26 SUNDAY, first of Lent, semidouble. Violet. Vespers of the the Holy Crown of Thorns, with commemoration of the Sunday. Red.

Salford: Collection for the establishment of the Clergy

27 Monday, The Holy Crown of Thorns of Our Lord Jesus Christ, greater double. Commemoration of the Feria, Creed, Preface of the Cross. Red.

28 Tuesday, Feria. Violet.

March has 31 days

1 Ember Wednesday, St David, Confessor Bishop, double. White.

St David’s and Newport, Patron of Wales, double of the first class (without Octave this year)

2 Thursday, St Chad, Confessor Bishop, double. White.

Beverley. Plenary Indulgence

Birmingham. St Chad, Confessor Bishop, Patron of the Cathedral, double of the first class (without Octave this year). White.

3 Ember Friday, The Lance and Nails of Our Lord Jesus Christ, greater double. Creed. Preface of the Cross. Red. Plenary Indulgence.

4 Ember Saturday, St Casimir, Confessor, semidouble. White.




4 comments:

Rubricarius said...

Ttony,
As you might be aware there is another posting of an 1882 Ordo on the Facebook Breviary Discussion Group, not for E&W but for Quebec and Ottawa.

I noticed the E&W has the feast of St Peter's Chair transferred to the Saturday of Quinquagesima week whilst Ottawa keeps the feast of the Crown of Thorns, displaced by St Matthias, on the Saturday and has St Peter' Chair on Monday.

Ttony said...

I don't use Facebook so I didn't know. I wonder if this was an area in which Provincial Synods could make judgements about the precedence of feasts of equal rank, but there is nothing in the decrees of the Synods of Westminster from the 1850s to 1880s which refers. An 1890 hand missal says: "Doubles are always kept on the day marked in the Calendar, unless they fall on some Sunday of the first or second class, some privileged feria, or with certain octaves which take place of the festivals; in which case they are either commemorated or, in the case of greater doubles and feasts of doctors, transferred to the first day not marked either as a double or a semi-double."

Canada, I assume, had the same distribution of the Friday feasts during the -Esimas and Lent as England and Wales (and Rome), as opposed to the distribution used in Ireland and the USA. (Thus Friday after Quinquagesima was the Holy Crown of Thorns in E&W and Rome, but the Most Holy Passion of OLJC in Ireland and the USA, Countries without hierarchies followed the Calendar of Rome.)

The fact that hierarchies were allowed a different distribution from Rome's indicates that there was a degree of latitude in this matter which I find slightly surprising.

Paul said...

I made the Facebook series of posts concerning the Canadian provinces, inspired by your blog, Ttony, for which I am grateful. I also would like to point out an error, which I now rectified in my posts now: for this year, I'm only covering the province of Quebec; I thought that since the 1892 Ordo, which I did last year for Quebec and Ottawa, looked very similar to the 1882 Ordo the Ordos would be covering the same provinces, but I was wrong. Based on the info, I think Ottawa was made an ecclesiastical province between 1882 and 1892, though exactly when I don't know and I could be wrong.

Rubricarius said...

I have looked at several 1882 Ordines that Google have digitalised and do think the feast of St Peter's Chair should transfer to Monday. Ordo compilers do make mistakes - as I know well.

Here is an example.